Youth For Climate Action - Deadline February 3
Thursday, February 16, 2023,
12:00 PM -
Monday, June 5@
Youth for Climate Action
Are you a high school student concerned about climate change?
Do you want to make a meaningful difference here in Rockland County?
Join the Rockland County 4-H Youth for Climate Action, where you can enhance your knowledge of the issues, develop leadership skills, and work with your peers to address climate change.
What is the Rockland County 4-H Youth for Climate Action Program?
Youth for Climate Action gives high school students an opportunity to develop skills and knowledge to address climate change in Rockland County. After a series of interactive sessions, trips, and connections with local organizations, members work together to create and implement service projects to address climate concerns and promote positive change.
Through this program, participants:
- Explore climate change issues on a global and local scale through demonstrations, talks and community science projects
- Visit local sites including a solar field, parks, creeks, piers, and more!
- Design, create, and implement a service project centered on climate change
- Connect with peers and community leaders
High School Students (Grades 9-11) who live in or attend school in Rockland County. We are especially looking for youth who work well in a team, are passionate about climate change issues, and are dedicated to making a difference in their communities.
CCE Rockland and various sites in Rockland County and surrounding areas.
Tentative Program Schedule:
- Thursday, February 16, 6pm-7:30pm: Orientation & Documentary Screening
- Tuesday, February 21, 10:30am - 11:30am: Sustainable Fashion - Eileen Fisher Waste No More Factory Tour
- Thursday, March 2, 6pm - 7:30pm: Addressing Climate Change in Rockland County
- Thursday, March 9, 6pm - 7:30pm: Climate Activism and Communication
- Thursday, March 16, Time TBD: Dominican University Tour - Environmental Studies
- Thursday, March 23, 6pm - 8:15pm: Service Project Planning
- Thursday, March 30, 6pm - 7:30pm: Service Project Planning - Meeting with community partners
- Friday, April 7, all day: CCE Suffolk Marine Program
- Thursday, April 13, Time TBD: Composting
- Thursday, April 20, Time TBD: Solar Field Tour
- Wednesday & Thursday, April 26 & 27: The American Eel Project
- Saturday, April 29, Time TBD: Ecosystem Monitoring
- Thursday, May 18, 6pm - 7:30pm: Plastic's Impact on Climate
- Thursday, May 25, 6pm - 7:30pm: Service Project Review & Presentations
- Thursday, June 1, Time TBD: Renewable Energy
- Friday, June 9, 5pm - 7pm: Community Celebration
$175 for new members; $150 for returning members. Financial assistance is available. Please note that refund requests will not be accepted after the program has started.
How to Apply
- Complete the application online at https://bit.ly/YCA23App by 11:59pm on Friday, February 3, 2023.
- Participate in a half-hour interview with the program coordinators. The interviews will take place on Wednesday, February 8, and Thursday, February 9, between 5:00pm - 7:00pm. Applicants will be able to select their interview time through a link on the application. All interviews take place in person at Cornell Cooperative Extension (10 Patriot Hills Drive, Stony Point, NY).
NOTE: Class size is limited. Applicants will only be considered if they complete the application online by the deadline and take part in the interview process.
View the PDF of the Youth for Climate Action 2023 Application.
Please note that this PDF is only to be used for reference. The application must be submitted online at https://bit.ly/YCA23App. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
Last updated January 6, 2023